Thousands of tourists from all around the world eagerly await the time just before spring to enjoy one of the natural sights that is most renowned for its beauty and interesting history. The cherry blossom, known as the symbol of rebirth and life itself in Japan, has over the years become the perfect stop for travelers to contemplate these wonderful trees and enjoy a fun picnic under their blossoming branches with friends and family.
You can enjoy this magical experience that offers the most magnificent nature between the first half of March and the first week of May in forests, parks, and gardens. However, here is a guide to the best places to visit during the cherry blossom season:
- TOKYO: Koishikawa Korakuen Garden, Shinjuku Gyoen Garden, Ueno Park, Sumida Park, Chidori Ga Fuchi (Imperial Palace), or Asukayama Park (the oldest in all of Tokyo).
- MOUNT FUJI: The 5 Lakes Region and the stunning Fujiyama.
- KYOTO: this city offers incredible places to enjoy the cherry blossoms. One of the most beautiful is the famous Philosopher’s Path, in the popular Higashiyama district.
- TAKAYAMA: Located in the Japanese Alps region, Takayama and its spectacular Miyagawa Ryokuchi Park is another place you mustn’t miss.
- KANAZAWA: Considered one of the country’s most beautiful gardens, Kenroku Garden makes Kanazawaanother must-visit.
- NARA: If your idea is to visit the Nara area, the best place to see the blooms is the famous Mount Yoshino.
- AOMORI: If there is a famous place, it is this one: Aomori and Hirosaki Castle.
Our recommendation is to travel in early April so you can enjoy the Sakura blooms in most of the cities in the country; otherwise, you should visit between late March, towards the south of Japan in Fukuoka, and early May, in the north in Sapporo, to have one of the best travel experiences of your life.
Although the beauty of these trees can be seen in different parts of the world, the Asian country is still the top global destination for enjoying the cherry blossoms and the festivals around the arrival of spring. If your aim is to rediscover yourself, this natural event also represents the priority of having a spiritual, mental, and physical balance.
History, tradition, nature, and modernity await you in a country like Japan. Are you ready for an unforgettable trip?