The beautiful waters gleaming under the warm sun make it impossible not to fall in love at first sight with the beaches of the Mexican Caribbean.
The Mexican Caribbean is a very rich destination because it has a huge ecological preserve with more than 5,000 archaeological remains, 450 kilometers of coastline lapped by a turquoise sea, and the second largest coral reef system in the world. Everything happens here: thrilling jungle tours, interesting visits to Mayan sites, fun aquatic activities, challenging golf games, relaxing and healthy spa treatments, shopping, fine dining, and world-class entertainment in the midst of unforgettable, beautiful days of sun and the sea.
The traditional Caribbean landscapes like Cancun and the Riviera Maya have different ingredients that make you want them to reveal all the beauties of Mexico and return again and again: luxury hotels lined up along Boulevard Kukulkan surrounded by the crystalline waters of the sea and Nichupté Lagoon, diving and other adventure activities in theme parks, drinks based on tequila, white sand beaches decorated with mangrove swamp vegetation and a series of admirably preserved Mayan ruins.
Here are nine must-see suggestions to make sure you enjoy this idyllic spot in the Riviera Maya.
- Playa del Carmen: Here the appeal of the beach, jungle, and Mayan treasures is amplified by the extensive variety of goods on sale in the shopping zone, which is stretches for twenty blocks along Quinta Avenida. (Fifth Avenue). Amidst the numerous restaurants offering traditional dishes from the Yucatan, you can also find serapes (artisan blankets), bottles of tequila, and ceramic vessels.
- Tulúm: Sixty-three kilometers south of Playa del Carmen, several monumental constructions remain standing from a city with walls on three of its sides along 6 kilometers of coastline. The last side is protected by a thick reef which can be seen from El Castillo ceremonial temple (perched on the topmost part of the cliff) and a small beach.
- Cobá: Tricycles powered by guides carry visitors through a forest in whose clearings stelae (monuments made of sculpted stones which recorded the most important events related to the governing class between the 12th and 15th centuries), pyramids, two ball courts, palaces, and the imposing ceremonial Nohoch Mul temple still stand.
- Isla Mujeres: A ferry service joins the island to the hotel area in Cancún. At Punta Sur, you can enjoy peerless views of the sea and the monument to Ixchel, the venerated Mayan goddess of rainbows, abundance, the Moon, love, and medicine.
- Chichen Itza: The greatest attraction here is the Mayan step pyramid of Kukulkan. Tourists from all over the world tend to stay mesmerized by the 30-meter-tall hill before following the route through the Temple of the Warriors, the ball court, the Platform of Venus, and a sacred cenote.
- Puerto Morelos: In this fishing village, you can take a tour around four cenotes with different characteristics, ideal for kayaking and snorkeling, rappelling, or zip-lining.
- Xcaret: The pre-Hispanic game of pelota and the ritual ceremony of the flying poles can be seen in this thematic, recreational, and archaeological park, all demonstrated by the descendants of the Mayan culture. More than 300 artists recreate the history of Mexico and also offer an equestrian show.
- Cozumel: On this island, you can get to know the Mayan ruins in San Gervasio, go diving, visit the Chankanaab water park, play golf, and spot manta rays while snorkeling; a boat sets sail from Playa del Carmen and a flight leaves from Cancun.
- Contoy. Across from the coast of Cancun, this protected, uninhabited island is the most important refuge of aquatic birds in the Mexican Caribbean. A guided tour allows you to spot sharks, manta rays, some of the three species of sea turtles and some of the 152 different bird species recorded.
We recommend that you visit this 2021 the maravilloso Mexican Caribbean and have an amazing experience along with your partner, friends or family. It will be an unforgettable trip which you’ll never forget!