Lima, the capital of Peru, is a fascinating destination that offers a unique combination of history, culture, food and natural beauty, giving you more than just one reason to think about visiting Lima on your next travel adventure.
This destination is a city full of history since it was founded in 1535 by the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro and preserves a great deal of Spanish colonial architecture. Its historic center, known as the “Cercado de Lima”, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to impressive churches, squares and ancient mansions. Walking through its streets you can explore emblematic places such as the Plaza Mayor, the Cathedral of Lima and the Government Palace, which reflect the history and colonial legacy of the city.
It is also a true culinary paradise, the home of internationally renowned Peruvian cuisine, and Lima is considered the culinary capital of South America. The city has a wide variety of restaurants, from street food stalls to haute cuisine establishments, where you can try iconic dishes such as ceviche (marinated seafood), lomo saltado (steak and vegetable stir fry) and aji de gallina (Peruvian chicken stew); a true culinary experience not to be missed. Of course, you’ll want to pair it with Peru’s most famous drink, the pisco sour.
There’s also a host of cultural attractions for tourists to enjoy, because the city is home to numerous world-class museums, such as the Museo Larco, which showcases an impressive collection of pre-Columbian art, and the Museo de la Nación, which offers a comprehensive overview of Peruvian history.
Also visit the Barranco neighborhood, known for its vibrant art scene and colorful colonial houses, as well as the Miraflores neighborhood, which has beautiful parks, shopping malls and panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean.
An added bonus is that Lima is strategically located so that you can explore other popular destinations within Peru. From the city, you can take trips to fascinating places such as the ancient archaeological site of Pachacamac, the Ballestas Islands and their famously diverse marine life, and the city of Cusco, the gateway to the famous Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. Here’s a list of the main tourist sites you should visit:
- Historical center: don’t miss the opportunity to visit the Basilica and Convento de San Francisco, famous for its underground catacombs and its impressive library.
- Barranco: this bohemian neighborhood is one of the most picturesque spots in the city, its cobblestone streets, colonial houses and views of the Pacific Ocean lending it a special charm. It is also known for being home to numerous art galleries, cozy cafés and a lively nightlife; explore the Puente de los Suspiros (Bridge of Sighs), visit the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo or simply enjoy the area’s laid-back, boho vibe.
- Miraflores: this modern seaside neighborhood is a favorite among tourists. With beautiful parks, spectacular ocean views and a variety of restaurants and stores, this is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the Lima lifestyle. Don’t miss the Parque del Amor, famous for its “El Beso” sculpture and its breathtaking sunsets.
- Museo Larco: located in the Pueblo Libre neighborhood, the museum is home to one of the most complete collections of pre-Columbian art in the world. Explore its galleries and marvel at the ancient ceramics, textiles and jewelry that showcase Peru’s rich cultural heritage.
- Circuito Mágico del Agua: This water-based theme park is a popular attraction, especially at night. Here you’ll find thirteen impressive water fountains, many of which are illuminated and synchronized with music and lights. It is an impressive visual spectacle not to be missed.
- Pachacamac: If you’re interested in pre-Columbian history, visit the archaeological site of Pachacamac, located on the outskirts of Lima. Here you can explore the ruins of an ancient Inca religious center and admire the impressive architecture.
Lima is a city full of charm and diversity that offers visitors a unique experience!
Remember that this month, as an Exclusive Deals benefit, you can request your package to spectacular destinations.